Once Upon a Time………

People queued up to live in this  respectable and thriving area . When the city fell on hard times many of the houses were transferred to Registered Social Landlords who are funded by government to provide affordable housing. Most Welsh Streets houses went to CDS housing (now part of Plus Dane)  A few were owned by Maritime LHT or  Liverpool City Council and about a third were privately owned. CDS did a refurbishment of their stock (we think around 1972). The properties and the people who lived in them were  mixed ages and types.

Before..

you ask, some of the houses were in a bad state and others were in mint condition.  There were neglected houses on the site but only 7% were classified ‘un-fit’. Many people took pride in their homes; two bed victorian terraces in the Welsh named streets ,  four and five bed townhouses on Kelvin Grove and  some three bed 1950’s houses.  Some had bay windows, patios or long south facing gardens

 

After…

…..the publication of the 2002 CURS Report  from Birmingham University all this was to change. (link to original Brendan Nevin report. ) It argued  there were too many houses, and that  they were too cheap.  The New Labour Government through John Prescott’s Office (the ODPM)  funded a new scheme called Housing Market Renewal Pathfinder to reduce the supply of housing and seek higher market values in eight Northern cities and Birmingham where population had declined as  industries were lost  The term ‘low demand ‘ housing was applied to whole swathes of urban homes. Some very desirable housing was,  was caught in HMR net. Across the UK residents formed groups to defend their homes and communities.

 

In Liverpool’s Welsh Streets residents gathered to seek alternatives to demolition. The groups began  on Madryn Street and in Kelvin Grove.  Soon anyone from the seven streets opposing the demolition of their homes came together as the Welsh Streets Home Group .